[NTDOM] NISGINA revisited

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Mar 4 16:44:38 GMT 1998

jeremy garber wrote:

> I currently have the NTDOM code functional on a test basis.
> I also have NISGINA configured to automatically create and update the
> smbpasswd entries on a test basis when logging into a samba domain.  Of
> course the NT policies (something we must have functional) that are
> stored on the samba server are not being pulled down when using the
> current NISGINA.

Couldn't you specify an manual remote update from a share on a samba
server which was configured using encrypted passwords?

> What is wrong with my thinking that I can just rip the code out of
> NISGINA that creates a local account so that I am actually logging in
> under a domain account in the samba domain?  There must be more to it
> than this.

There are two ways I could understand what you are saying.  One is that
the domain account already exists.  In this case you would be
authenticating twice.  Don't see a need for that.

If you are validating against the PDC why not just keep the default
msgina.dll unless you have some secret way of synchronizing the
passwords. ;)

The second way would be that the domain account does not exist and you
want NISgina to create it rather than a local account.  This will not
work since only certain accounts are authorized to add accounts to a
domain.  It has been tried ( check the NISgina mailing list archives )
by replacing the NULL parameter in NetUserAdd() with the name of the
PDC.

> Will I have to add code to NISGINA so that it understands it is using a
> domain account rather than a local one?

Gernot Bauer has added support to allow NISgina to login to a PDC or a
NIS master.

	http://www.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de/nisgina/

You may already know about this

j-