Make windows connect to a port other than 139

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Tue Jun 2 17:47:09 GMT 1998

Robert Vasvari wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>         I'm planning to run my own SMB server on some box,
>         binding to a user level port (>1024). Problem is,
>         WINDOWS (both Nt and 95) only connects to an SMB
>         server on ports 137-139. So, the question is:
>         is there a way to make WINDOWS connect to a specified port on the
>         remote host when mapping a network drive? Something like:
>         NET USE \\myserver:myport\myservice \USER:username etc..
>
>                         =[vrobi]=

Back in the days of Windows NT 3.1, I managed to do this
(and break SMB networking at the time :-) by changing
the line that reads :

nbsession       139/tcp

in the file c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\services
and then rebooting the NT box.

It *may* still work on NT4.x - give it a try.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.