Make windows connect to a port other than 139

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Jun 2 20:07:27 GMT 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
>
> > Robert,
> >
> > >       I'm planning to run my own SMB server on some box,
> > >       binding to a user level port (>1024). Problem is,
> > >       WINDOWS (both Nt and 95) only connects to an SMB
> > >       server on ports 137-139. So, the question is:
> > >       is there a way to make WINDOWS connect to a specified port on the
> > >       remote host when mapping a network drive? Something like:
> > >       NET USE \\myserver:myport\myservice \USER:username etc..
> > The simple answer is 'NO'. The MS clients can't use SMB on
> > anything else but the standard ports.
>
> It's even worse than that. Win95

and NT.  although we have observed that with NT it's very odd behaviour:

- when the NetBIOS broadcast bit (NOTHING to do with tcp/ip, by the way)
is set in the query received by the NT machine, the response is sent on
the queryer's port (which can be anything).

- when the NetBIOS broadcast bit (NOTHING to do with tcp/ip) is clear in
the query, the response is always sent on port 137 as you mention, jens.

if anything, it should be the other way round.  actually, if anything, the
response should always be to the queryer's tcp port number.

luke