smbpasswd question

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Jun 2 13:08:02 GMT 1998

dear norman,

yes you can ignore the LM hash: at the minimum you must support the NT
hash.

i recommend that you follow the "password API needed" and associated
threads on:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/listproc/samba-technical

as we are developing a password API.  i recommend that you contact danny
breiss, as he is developing a prototype of the clear-text password API;
the encrypted password API already exists and is in passdb.c

small note, big hint: the passdb.c API should have _nothing_ to do with
the UNIX getpwnam() call or its entries.  the minimum information that
must be stored is:

- username
- NT 16 byte hash
- 16 bit ACB account type.

please contact me either privately or preferably via
samba-technical at samba.anu.edu.au if you need any assistance: we are
actively seeking to support as many password database systems as possible.

best regards,

luke