How to use /etc/passwd passwords for NTDOM?

Simon Murcott S.Murcott at massey.ac.nz
Mon Feb 23 21:10:57 GMT 1998

Samuel James Johnston wrote:

> You'll be doing well if you manage to work out how to do this. The UNIX
> password file contains one way encryptions of the users passwords. ie the
> password is encrypted using the password and a salt as the key, or
> thereabouts. To create the hashes needed in smbpasswd files you need the
> original (cleartext) password. Thus, unless you want to crack each line of
> the UNIX password file, you have little or no chance of achieving this.
>
> mkpasswd works only as well as is possible. Perhaps you could modify the
> passwd (or dare I say, login) executables to update the smbpasswd file.
> These are about the only two processes that ever get to see your password.
>
> Remember too that the smbpasswd file contains passowrd equivalents, so be
> careful about where you put it/who can see it.

I have noticed that there is a module available for PAM that will allow
you to authenticate of a NT/Samba domain controller. In theory this
could replace /etc/passwd with private/smbpasswd.

Has anyone tried this? I would be very interested in some opinions of
it.

Regards

Simon Murcott
                                                   Computer Consultant
                     Department of Resource and Environmental Planning
                                 Massey University, Private Bag 11 222
                                         Palmerston North, New Zealand
                                                S.Murcott at massey.ac.nz