How to use /etc/passwd passwords for NTDOM?

Samuel James Johnston samj at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Mon Feb 23 02:08:24 GMT 1998

You'll be doing well if you manage to work out how to do this. The UNIX
password file contains one way encryptions of the users passwords. ie the
password is encrypted using the password and a salt as the key, or
thereabouts. To create the hashes needed in smbpasswd files you need the
original (cleartext) password. Thus, unless you want to crack each line of
the UNIX password file, you have little or no chance of achieving this.

mkpasswd works only as well as is possible. Perhaps you could modify the
passwd (or dare I say, login) executables to update the smbpasswd file.
These are about the only two processes that ever get to see your password.

Remember too that the smbpasswd file contains passowrd equivalents, so be
careful about where you put it/who can see it.

Hope this helps,

Sam Johnston