How to use /etc/passwd passwords for NTDOM?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Feb 21 14:58:19 GMT 1998

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> Nuno Loureiro wrote:
> >
> > Is there any automatic way of converting /etc/passwd (or shadow) to
> > smbpasswd? mkpasswd doesn't seem to work well (it doesn't convert the
> > passwords, instead it puts XXXX.... in the smb password field).
>
> Short answer.  No this is no automatic way of doing this.  Sorry.
>
> I welcome corrections if I am wrong on this one.

rising to the bait...

gerry is correct.  there is a way round this, which is to get everyone to
log in without a password, and force a password change the first time they
log in.  however, we don't currently know what the password change
mechanism is at the moment, but with help or divine intervention we will
get this.

so, your second option is to use john blair's "migrate passwords" option,
which we kind of deliberately haven't put in yet.  this will allow you to
run for a few days to a week on plain-text passwords, and will generate
private/smbpasswd entries as each user logs in, from the plain-text
password.  then you can move to "encrypted password = yes".  anyone left
behind would have to log in without a password the first time.

HOWEVER...

once you move over to smbpasswd entries, you _cannot_ go back again to
unix crypts, or any other password mechanism, without installing third
party software on all clients [with nt 3.5 / 4.0. nt 5.0 is a different
story, but that is currently limited - publicly - to microsoft's
implementation of kerberos 5].  see the cifs digest archives for more info
on these issues:

http://discuss.microsoft.com/archives/index.html

luke