A question about NT Domains

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu Apr 9 11:49:29 GMT 1998

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Paul Leach wrote:

> Everyone is totally confusing a user logging in to a domain with a
> workstation being a member of a domain.

to clarify (possibly!): workstations have their own usernames / passwords
with which they can verify, to the PDC, that they are in fact a member of
the domain.

why do you (samba-ntdom) think we had to extend the smbpasswd command?

	smbpasswd -add --machine WKSTA_NAME

> Just the facts, ma'am:

ta, paul :-)

> A workstation can only be a member of one domain; a user account can exist
> in only one domain. A human user can have many accounts.

this is my understanding of the situation.  i also believe, but would
appreciate confirmation, that [one or more different] users can use the
same named user account [in only one domain] and log in multiple times, to
the same [one] domain.

for example, you can log in from the same three locations:

1) the ctrl-alt-delete box
2) an exchange server
3) an SMBsessionsetupX (SMB file/print/IPC$ services)

all three above pass the username / domain / password.

> A user in domain A can log in to a WS in domain B if domain B trusts domain
> A, and that user can access anything in either domain if they are on the ACL
> for the object being accessed.

[the object being, but not limited to: a file/directory; an IPC pipe; the
right to log in from a physical machine; the ability to run as a
service: there are of the order of twenty / thirty objects].

> Paul

1) the local machine's accounts (under the workstation name)
2) the domain account (that your workstation is a member of)
3) trusted domains (that your PDC has a trust relationship with other
PDCs)

> > > Are you saying that the samba domain browsing isn't working, or that
> > > as user can't log onto any domain on the local network he chooses.
> > >
> > > I haven't installed as WS since 3.51 so I maybe misremembering
> > > something)
> >
> > Hmmm...Unless I am missing something here as well.  When you join a
> > domain ( samba or otherwise ) you must leave the current
> > domain to join
> > another.  The popup menu at the login prompt allows you to choose
> > between the network domain or the local machine.

and any trusted domains.