A question about NT Domains

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Apr 8 17:32:44 GMT 1998

John Harper wrote:

> However, our system arrangement is such that we have two Solaris
> servers - one is dedicated to staff/faculty, the other is for students.
> Each class of user only has access to and account info on their
> particular server. I would therefore assume the logical extension into
> the world of NT domains would imply that I configure both Unix servers
> as separate PDC's in two NT domains (it seems reasonable to me!).
>
> But our labs can be used by both students and faculty, and I therefore
> need the client NT machines to be able to connect to either domain -
> as far as I can tell this is not possible. Is there in fact any way
> to get a client to belong/connect to more than one domain? Am I

Nope.  Only member of one domain at a time.

> missing something, or can I add this to my growing list of "Why I
> Hate M$"?

That's up to you :)

Here's my take on the situation.

I would try to set up one domain a differentiate between services
depending on the user.  In other words, have a single login script and
branch.

Here's one thing I have been meaning to try but haven't had the chance.
Set "password server" to be the other samba serber so you only have to
keep up with one smbpasswd file.

-----snip-------------------
rem get the user's group...abitrary...no relation to NT or unix groups

if "%GROUP%" == "group1" goto group1
if "%GROUP%" == "group2" goto group2

:group1
goto end