Removing folder at destination

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Nov 22 15:26:39 UTC 2019

On Thu 14 Nov 2019, Freddie Valdez via rsync wrote:

> Rsync 2.6.9

Wow, that's ancient. Released 06 Nov 2006

> Mac OS interacting with Windows servers.
>
> My Rsync command: rsync -rvz --exclude-from=exclude.txt source destination.
>
> I copy large files from server A to server B excluding multiple directories
> which rsync quickly and beautifully executes.
> What I end up with at destination is these folders.
>   01_us_eng...
>      2_ASSETS
>       3_web
>        4_print
> I manually then move the web/print folders into the 01_us_eng... folder and
> then I manually delete the assets folder.

Why not exclude 2_ASSETS from the first run, and then do a second run to
rsync the _contents_ of 2_ASSETS to the target 01_us_eng directory?

Add /01_us_eng/2_ASSETS/ to the exclude.txt file.

rsync -rvz --exclude-from=exclude.txt source destination
rsync -rvz source/01_us_eng/2_ASSETS/ destination/01_us_eng/

(perhaps add some variation of the exclude.txt file if you're excluding
stuff under the 2_ASSETS directory)

> My humble question to samba.org is this, can I add an rsync command to move
> folders 3 and 4 into 01... and delete the 2_ASSETS folder so I dont have to
> manually do this 200 times each day?

You can't use rsync to perform remote rename operations, which is what
you're essentially asking for.

Paul