Bad size transfers

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Nov 26 23:20:19 MST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Juan Pablo Lorier <jplorier at gmail.com>wrote:

> I see by the logs that files are partially transferred and deleted from
> source (as specified by the flag) but destination file is far from a copy
> of the original.

Are those files possibly copied before they are done being written?  The
best way to orchestrate a setup like that is to move fully-formed files
into the dir where rsync will copy+delete them (i.e. create them in a
different folder on the same mount and rename them).  Rsync 3.1.0 has a
change that tries to help people who don't follow that best-practice rule:
 if the sender's file does not have the same size and modify time at delete
time as it did when it was originally scanned, the remove request is
skipped and rsync outputs an error message:

ERROR: Skipping sender remove for changed file: foo

If you're using an older rsync, you might try compiling the latest git
version (or "nightly" tar file) and see if that extra check helps you (make
sure at least the sending side has the new code).