How to get the estimated binary diff size without really changing the destination folder?

Zhenhua Li lizhenhua1983 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 09:35:44 MST 2012

Hello everyone,

I have been exploring how to get the estimated binary diff size
without changing the destination folder, but still have no answer. I
have difficulty in solving this problem.

I want to do something like:  rsync -av ~/src/ user at host::module/dst/
   but I do not want the dst/ to be really changed. That is to say, I
only want to get the estimated binary diff size (or says delta size)
between /src and /dst.

I tried the option -n (--dry-run) but it only lists which file will be
changed rather than how many bytes are different (will be
transferred).

Could you please give me some help or heuristics? Thank you very much!

--
Zhenhua Li,
Joint Ph.D student, University of Minnesota, Twin Cites, US
Email: lizhenhua1983 at gmail.com, lzh at net.pku.edu.cn
Phone: 612-205-1637 (@Minneapolis, MN, USA)
+86-13811219742 (@Beijing, unavailable now)