Replacing rsync on OSX servers.

Warren Oates warren.oates at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 17:08:51 MST 2011

Bryan:

I successfully compile rsync under OS X, placing the binary in
/usr/local/bin and the man pages in /usr/local/man.

I rewrote my $PATH and $MANPATH to look in those places first (in
~/.bashrc). That way, when I type "rsync" at the prompt, it finds the
one in /usr/local/bin and stops looking (and the same for "man
rsync"). THis way, Apple can upgrade anything they want -- I don't use
their version anyway.

I do the same sort of thing with ffmpeg.

W.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Bryan Pliatsios
<bryan.pliatsios at wellcom.com.au> wrote:
> Thank you both for your replies,
>    nothing unexpected in the comments, but I'm certainly glad there were no
> bombshells telling me a painful path lay ahead.
>    We're having an internal discussion about replacing rsync in place vs
> using /usr/local/bin. We have a very small team with a lot of servers so a
> standard environment is essential, so more investigation is going into
> finding out if the stock rsync is used by any OSX processes (we think not)
> and at least adding an motd and perhaps a version query into our scripts
> given the conflicting use of -E between Apple's patch and rsync3+.
>    Finally, having built it now, I can also do some debugging of the broken
> pipe issues we keep having; Yes, rsync daemon. No, no ssh (private network).
> I'll come back and ask for help on that one soon I expect.
> Thanks for the help, thanks for the tool.
>    Bryan
>
> On 22/11/2011, at 2:43 PM, Henri Shustak wrote:
>
> Having built and tested 3.0.7 and ready to send it out into production, can
> anybody point me to 'best practices' for updating the binary and man pages
> and other issues around upgrading from the dodgy v2.6.9 that ships with
> late-10.4-thru-10.7?
>

> You could use /usr/local/bin as the install location for the rsync binary
> and then update your environment variable accordingly. This is just one
> possible approach.
>
> Not having replaced an OSX tool in the past, I've got no idea if Apple is
> prone to update these utils, or just 'fix' what I've done automatically
> during routine checks and system upgrades. Any experiences would be
> appreciated.
>
> If you replace the binary then it is possible that an Apple would overwrite
> your files.
>
> Despite this message not directly answering your questions, hopefully you
> find some of the information I have provided useful / informative.

> --

W. Oates