Replacing rsync on OSX servers.

Elliot Wilen ewilen at mprinc.com
Tue Nov 22 17:24:35 MST 2011

Apologies if I missed something in earlier posts, but I wonder if those of you who are looking to install rsync on your OS X boxes are aware of macports.

http://www.macports.org/

Currently rsync 3.0.7 is available through macports, which would save you the trouble of compiling, and it would simplify reinstallation if necessary. I don't know/recall, though, where it gets installed. For that matter, macports might allow you to select an installation directory. (I'm not an expert in macports--I mainly use it to update BIND and to install nmap on my Macs.)

Also, I'll note that I recently had trouble using macports 2.0.3 (the current version) on a box running OS X 10.6.8. (It had been upgraded from 10.5.x, and in fact may have started life running 10.4.x.) I was able to solve this by installing macports 1.8.0. A newer version might have worked just as well, but with 2.0.3 some parts of macports were unsuccessfully trying to use the version of curl that was installed in the system.

Elliot Wilen
Network Administrator/Postmaster
Communications and Computer Systems
MPR Associates, Inc.