rsync 3.0.7 intermittent failures with many large files

andrew.marlow at uk.bnpparibas.com andrew.marlow at uk.bnpparibas.com
Mon May 24 06:04:26 MDT 2010

I have recently changed the version of rsync I use from the ancient 2.6.6
to 3.0.7. Every since then it seems to me that I am getting more rsync
failures than before. Hopefully, other people can share their experiences
and point to the cause which, I acknowledge, might be me doing something
wrong.

The rsync error long indicates things like:

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes to socket
[generator]:
Connection reset by peer (104)rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
(104)

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(1530)
[generator=3.0.7]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(760)
[receiver=3.0.7]

I am using rsync to perform a distributed software release to around 200
machines. Several hundred files are transferred. Some are quite large
executables. Each time it is a different set of machines that fail. Out of
200 it is 3 to 6 that fail. I have not had a run where all 200 work for
quite some time. With the older version of rsync total success was the
norm. We got a few failures such as the above every now and then.

I am not sure it is to do with moving to a more recent version of rsync.
It might be to do with a flakey network. It's hard to say. But I did see
an rsync discussion thread at
http://serverfault.com/questions/27137/rsync-or-dfs-r-for-remote-backup-over-slow-links-of-windows-2003-r2-sp2.
This seems to be talking about the same kind of problems I have been
having. The distribution is over a WAN, tranferring files from London to
Geneva. I am using Windows-XP (SP2), with rsync built using the latest
version of cygwin. I am also defining the environment variable CYGWIN to
be NONTSEC to head off any ACL-related permission problems.

The thread I refer to makes me think that it might actually be a problem
with rsync. Maybe rsync should watch out for temporary loss of network
connectivity or slowness like you get in WANs sometimes. Maybe it should
tolerate these sorts of errors subject to a maximum number of retries.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

NOTE TO MODERATORS: I apologise for the length of the disclaimer that the
emailer attaches. There is nothing I can do about it. Please feel free to
delete it.

---

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is prohibited.

Please refer to http://www.bnpparibas.co.uk/en/information/legal_information.asp?Code=ECAS-845C5H  for additional disclosures.