Getting transfer error lists

Michael Renner michael.renner at gmx.de
Wed May 5 09:41:20 MDT 2010

On Wednesday 05 May 2010, Ryan Joseph wrote:
> Hello again,

Moin,

I'm writing a compley backup application with rsync in shell.

What I do to report errors: analyze the return code an internal table with
error specifications and reporting these in clear text. The code:

# a list with all rsync return codes
RSYNC_RCs="
0 Success
1 Syntax or usage error
2 Protocol incompatibility
3 Errors selecting input/output files, dirs
4 Requested action not supported: an attempt was made to manipulate 64-bit
files on a platform that cannot support them; or an option was specified that
is supported by the client and not by the server.
5 Error starting client-server protocol
6 Daemon unable to append to log-file
10 Error in socket I/O
11 Error in file I/O
12 Error in rsync protocol data stream
13 Errors with program diagnostics
14 Error in IPC code
20 Received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT
21 Some error returned by waitpid()
22 Error allocating core memory buffers
23 Partial transfer due to error
24 Partial transfer due to vanished source files
25 The --max-delete limit stopped deletions
30 Timeout in data send/receive
35 Timeout waiting for daemon connection
130 unexplained
"

RC_sub=$?
RC_MEAN=`echo $RSYNC_RCs | grep -w $RC_sub`
logger "# rsync return code: $RC_sub ($RC_MEAN)"

CU

--
|Michael Renner      E-mail: michael.renner at gmx.de  |
|D-81541 Munich      Germany        ICQ: #112280325 |