--compare-dest weirdness

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 21:14:31 MDT 2010

> the -i shows that most are being copied due to time differences, so in
> theory -t should work? This does in fact work on a little test setup
> on my work laptop, i will test it properly when i get home tonight.

I am glad that the -t option is working with your test.

If you decide to use LBackup and have a full hard linked backup then a possible option is to have a post action script which passes a list of files and directories which have been updated or created to tar for archive creation.

To enable rsync session logging add the following line to the LBackup backup configuration file :

 enable_rsync_session_log="YES"

Then using tar with the -n option you would be able to feed in a list of newly created or modified files.

Depending upon what kind of information you want to preserve something like the following could do the trick. However, please keep in mind that you may need to add or remove tar various options.

 tar -c -n -z -v -f /tmp/new_archive.tar.gz -T /tmp/list_to_archive.txt

If you opted for such an approach you could potentially stop using the --compare-dest option and rely upon the output from rsync for a list of files you would like to archive.

All the best with your backup script.

With any luck the rsync -t option will work with you backup as well as it did for your testing.