rsync with danish chars in filename

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Thu Sep 17 14:09:31 MDT 2009

Tomas Norre Mikkelsen (tnm.pohl at gmail.com) wrote on 17 September 2009 09:31:
 >I have a Qnap NAS-219 used for storage, i have a Ubuntu 9.04 server
 >for backup. When rsync between them filenames containing ø have
 >problemes, the danish chars æ å does not have any problems eventhough
 >its a special char like æ ø å.
 >
 >The log files state following:
 >
 >file has vanished: "/M?deskabelon.doc"
 >
 >where ? should be ø, and the file is stil at the system, so its not vanished.
 >
 >The charset on NAS is: en_US.UTF-8
 >And backup-server is: en_DK.UTF-8
 >
 >I know there is a difference but in the starting wizard at the nas, it
 >was the recommended charset used for danish language files.
 >
 >And the problem had been more understandable if the charset was like:
 >
 >The charset on NAS is: en_DK.UTF-8
 >And backup-server is: en_US.UTF-8
 >
 >then the backup-server should not understand danish special chars like æ ø å.

If you're only doing backups and don't intend to access the copies
often, you could just ignore any charset/locale/i18n issue and use
only plain C locale. No iconv anywhere, etc. Use the same settings at
both sides of course, so that neither the sender nor the receiver
tries to do any translation. I use --no-8-bit-output --no-iconv.