rsync with danish chars in filename

Tomas Norre Mikkelsen tomas at pohldata.dk
Thu Sep 17 02:15:33 MDT 2009

Hi Thomas (Brovst ? :)

2009/9/17 Thomas Damgaard <thomasdn at gmail.com>:
> Hi Tomas
>
>> file has vanished: "/M?deskabelon.doc"
>
> I have had a similar problem, where the source file was not in the
> correct encoding (used on the source).
>
> So in my case, the filename on the source contained chars that was not
> properly encoded in the source machine's encoding. (This was a Windows
> server).
> I don't know if this is the same situation, you are in.
>
> Have you tried creating a new file on the source with a filename containing 'ø'?

Yes, have tried that with these yesterday:

Created To folder: "Testmappe æøå - systemname - computername" and
"Testmappe - systemname - computername", and within those i have made
5 files:

filename.txt
filenameæ.txt
filenameø.txt
filenameå.txt
filenameæøå.txt

to se which chars fails. Only the one with ø fails, but the
directories, does not fail.

I have tried to make the to folders mentioned from 7 different
systems, from Vista, XP, Win7, Ubuntu, FreeBSD etc.