Rsync with OS X 10.3

Jason dualusbibook at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 22 03:16:55 GMT 2009

Alright here is an update.

Using v0.6 + standard OS X patches + code below I have compiled rsync 3.0.5 on a OS X 10.3 box.

No errors were thrown during the compile.  In order to test this build I created the Src and Dst volumes using the Backup Bouncer test suit. This was performed on a 10.4 system.  The disk images where transfered to the 10.3 system.  The results of the test are:

Verifying:    basic-permissions ... ok (Critical)
Verifying:           timestamps ... ok (Critical)
Verifying:             symlinks ... ok (Critical)
Verifying:    symlink-ownership ... ok
Verifying:            hardlinks ... FAIL (Important)
Verifying:       resource-forks ...
   Sub-test:             on files ... FAIL (Critical)
   Sub-test:  on hardlinked files ... FAIL (Important)
Verifying:         finder-flags ... FAIL (Critical)
Verifying:         finder-locks ... FAIL
Verifying:        creation-date ... FAIL
Verifying:            bsd-flags ... FAIL
Verifying:       extended-attrs ...
   Sub-test:             on files ... FAIL (Important)
   Sub-test:       on directories ... FAIL (Important)
   Sub-test:          on symlinks ... FAIL
Verifying: access-control-lists ...
   Sub-test:             on files ... FAIL (Important)
   Sub-test:              on dirs ... FAIL (Important)
Verifying:                 fifo ... ok
Verifying:              devices ... ok
Verifying:          combo-tests ...
   Sub-test:  xattrs + rsrc forks ... FAIL
   Sub-test:     lots of metadata ... FAIL

I'm a little surprised by the hardlinks and resource-forks but otherwise this is what we got.

When transferring both files and directories with '/' in their filename they were transfered over without any difficulties.

Thoughts on how we can proceed?  Or is testing this copy not a valid method.

Cheers,
Jason