Rsync with OS X 10.3

macuserfr macuserfr at free.fr
Wed Jan 21 09:03:07 GMT 2009

Hi Jason,

Here's rsync10.3xattr_supportv0.6.diff.

You can find fileflags.diff and crtimes.diff (that are not from me,
but I strongly recommend you to install) here: http://samba.anu.edu.au/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-patches-3.0.5.tar.gz

As you could see in the mail from the mail-list, this version have a
bug with filenames containing slashes ("/"). They are converted to
colons (":") in the filesystem and we need to reconvert them to
slashes in order to pass them correctly as argument for the
FSMakeFSRefUnicode function. As you can see, we are looking for the
most efficient way to do it.

If you want to be sure it works, modify /lib/sysxattrs.c including
this code on fsreffrompath function:
= 	if(verbose > 3)
= 		fprintf(stderr, "name=%s\n",startOfName);
+	nameLength=strlen(startOfName);
+	strcpy(name, startOfName);
+	while(index<nameLength)
+	{
+		if(name[index]==':')
+			name[index]='/';
+	}
= 	cfStringName=CFStringCreateWithCString(NULL, name,
kCFStringEncodingUTF8);
= 	if(cfStringName==NULL)

Putting this initialisation:
= 	char parentPath[MAXPATHLEN+1], name[MAXNAMLEN+1];
+	unsigned int index=0, nameLength;

= means code that already exist on file.
+ means new code to be inserted in this context.

Other ways to make the colon to slash conversion are unsure and need
testing. If you would like to test it, let me know.

I can't test as I haven't a Mac OS X.3 anymore. Let me know as well if
this works for you (This patch have no guarantee, using it is by your
only responsibility).

Best regards,

Vitorio

PS: CC me if you reply on the mailing list as I don't systematically
subscribe to it.