Problems while transferring big files

Boniforti Flavio flavio at piramide.ch
Wed Apr 1 11:46:47 GMT 2009

> All right, so it's a timeout.  That means either the rsync
> protocol deadlocked (which would constitute a bug) or the
> network lost data.  To determine which, please run all three

I'm coming back to this issue, which I did not have time to go on
further...

One of the DSL lines has been ugpraded:

Before = 5000/500
Actual = 20000/1000

Do you see the UL rate has doubled (500 --> 1000)? Well, I was surprised
to see that the data transferred *before* the timeout happening has
somehow doubled too:

Before:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (576169685 bytes received so far)
[receiver] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(600) [receiver=3.0.5]

Actual:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (974716284 bytes received so far)
[receiver] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(600) [receiver=3.0.5]

The conclusion is, there seems to be a "fixed timeout" which happens at
constant times. What can I do now? OK, I've to admit that I didn't have
time to put up "Method 4" for rsync over firewall tunnelling...

Any considerations will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Flavio.