tricky rsync setup quit working

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Sep 13 17:04:00 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 15:14 +0200, Peter Daum wrote:
> client:
> $rsync $rsync_opts --rsh="'ssh -i $ssh_key'" $filesystems $bak_host::backup_module/path

> and eventually invoked rsync with the command line:
> rsync --daemon --no-detach --config $cfg_file

> After looking through the documentation and digging in the rsync sources,
> it doesn't look like this could ever work, but thrust me - it did!
> (It looks like the only way to get rsync to honor the configuration file
> is to specify --daemon, which causes it to listen on the network instead
> of doing its work and the only way to do it's job on the existing network
> connection is to specify "--server", in which case it doesn't honor the
> configuration file. Unfortunately, some options like chroot can only be
> specified via configuration file)

To have rsync act as a daemon but use the existing connection, pass both
--daemon and --server (as in the remote shell command sent by the
client, which you can see with -vv).  --daemon alone may have worked
previously if rsync's stdin was a socket, which triggers an "inetd mode"
similar to what happens if you also pass --server.

Matt