Help

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed May 14 21:35:04 GMT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 12:55 pm, Victor Farah wrote:
> Hello there
> 	I have a question about rsync, and some options.
> I have 10 servers here that all need data from one machine.  It's a
> LARGE amount of files all pictures and files and such, now every time I
> rsync the directory over it takes like hours to create the file list.
> Now I'm fine with that, but I need to know if it can save the file list
> it generates and uses it over again for the other machines?
> Now my script is pretty basic:
> rsync -urvlopg --delete /local/dir rsync://remote1/MODULE
> repeat this ten times for remote1 through remote10.  I want to speed up
> this process by making it so it only gets the file list once and copies
> the updates it needs to each machine.  Right now when the script runs it
> will rsync generate file list, copy the files to the remote and then
> finish, go to the next line and do the same thing over again, so it
> takes hours to create the file list and hours to copy.  I just want it
> to create the file list once and copy what it needs to each machine, is
> there a way to do this?

rsync is stateless, so AFAIK it doesn't save the state.

You can look into unison, which is stateful - it saves the state of each
replica between runs.  I believe there is a way to get it to act like
rsync - one directional transfers.

--Yan

--
  o__

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that
10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were
you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation