rsync daemon not answering

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Jun 6 14:15:36 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 10:02 -0300, Alejandro Celery wrote:
> I have a problem: I was running rsync --daemon on a Ubuntu 6.10 linux
> without problems. I used it to sync our company intranet from a Windows
> host through deltacopy. Then I migrated my system to new hardware and
> installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it. I run rsync --daemon with the same
> rsyncd.conf file and it´s not listening to any requests. I´m trying to
> sync the same directories from the same deltacopy client and it´s not
> working. I do tcpdump on the rsync port and i confirm that the request
> from deltacopy are coming through OK and checked my iptables OK too. But
> for some reason the daemon doesn´t answer the requests.
> Any idea what should I check? What should i post here to help you help me?

Try connecting to the daemon locally by running "nc localhost PORT" on
the daemon machine to see if the same thing happens.  If the daemon
prints "@RSYNCD: 30" or "@RSYNCD: 29", then the problem is between there
and the client.  If it doesn't print anything, then check the daemon's
log and the syslog; the log should say something like "rsyncd version V
starting, listening on port P".

Matt