how to know the detail about a partial transfer?

Ming Zhang blackmagic02881 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 01:56:40 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 20:20 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 18:00 -0500, Ming Zhang wrote:
> > We always run rsync with --files-from and sometime it gets a error code
> > 23, partial transfer. is it possible to find out what files are not
> > transferred without check the error message by human eye(since we want
> > to do it in a script)?
>
> Not easily, since the error messages indicating different kinds of
> failure for a given file don't follow a standard pattern.  Some
> approaches:

is it possible to change those error messages into a standard pattern?

> 1. Write a humongous sed script to match all the error messages and
> extract the filenames.
>
> 2. Use --log-file, and look at what files are *not* itemized in the log.
> (Most failures, but evidently not certain attribute-related failures,
> will cause a file to be omitted from the log.)
>
> 3. The most pragmatic approach: rerun rsync with --dry-run and look at
> which files are still itemized as different.

i am trying to do 1 now and think 3 is better. but since rsync daemon
know which file(s) are not transferred, can rsync daemon pass these
information back to rsync client and print it out?

--
Ming Zhang

@#$%^ purging memory... (*!%
http://blackmagic02881.wordpress.com/