how to know the detail about a partial transfer?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Jan 25 02:25:29 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 20:56 -0500, Ming Zhang wrote:
> > Not easily, since the error messages indicating different kinds of
> > failure for a given file don't follow a standard pattern.  Some
> > approaches:
>
> is it possible to change those error messages into a standard pattern?

Yes, it would be possible, but it would require going through and
reformatting each of the 77 FERROR_XFER messages individually and would
make a few of them less readable (e.g., "link A => B failed" would
become "B: link from A failed").  Another option would be to print an
additional "failed to propagate B" message after a failure of any kind
on file B, and your script could just match those messages.

> i am trying to do 1 now and think 3 is better. but since rsync daemon
> know which file(s) are not transferred, can rsync daemon pass these
> information back to rsync client and print it out?

It's not clear to me what you are proposing.  First, are you referring
to a push or a pull?

Matt