how to know the detail about a partial transfer?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Jan 25 01:20:52 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 18:00 -0500, Ming Zhang wrote:
> We always run rsync with --files-from and sometime it gets a error code
> 23, partial transfer. is it possible to find out what files are not
> transferred without check the error message by human eye(since we want
> to do it in a script)?

Not easily, since the error messages indicating different kinds of
failure for a given file don't follow a standard pattern.  Some
approaches:

1. Write a humongous sed script to match all the error messages and
extract the filenames.

2. Use --log-file, and look at what files are *not* itemized in the log.
(Most failures, but evidently not certain attribute-related failures,
will cause a file to be omitted from the log.)

3. The most pragmatic approach: rerun rsync with --dry-run and look at
which files are still itemized as different.

Matt