rsync hangs after aborting a process

cewing cewing at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 19 16:59:48 GMT 2008

Matt McCutchen-7 wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 20:54 -0700, cewing wrote:
>> ${RSYNC_CMD} -aNHAXx --protect-args --fileflags --force-change
>> --rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync" <username>@<my.server.com>:${CPY_SRC}
>> ${CPY_DEST}
>
>> Now, whenever I try to run the same script, rsync hangs.
>
> Is rsync hanging or just receiving an enormous non-incremental file list
> from the remote machine?  Check if the remote rsync process is accessing
> the disk.

It appears you are right.  The scheduled job I had set up for overnight ran
and worked.  It must be that for some reason incremental recursion is
disabled.  Building the file list for the 125GB of data the job transferred
must just take an inordinately long time.

Matt McCutchen-7 wrote:

> With rsync 3.0.3 on both sides, I'm surprised that rsync isn't using
> incremental recursion (and printing "receiving incremental file list"
> instead of "receiving file list ...").  You might try removing some
> options to see which one is disabling incremental recursion.

I'll give this a shot.  Thanks for the ideas.