rsync --delete problem with accent characters on Mac OS X HFS

Komáromi Tamás tamas at komaromi-komaromi.hu
Tue Aug 19 22:20:59 GMT 2008

Hello,

I would like to sync my Linux firewall to my Mac OS X.

The Linux is a Debian 4.0 with ext3 filesystem (UTF-8)
$ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.2  protocol version 30

The Mac OS X is a 10.5 Leopard with HFS+ (UTF-8)
$ /sw/bin/rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.3  protocol version 30
(fink version)

I have many accents in my filenames:
$ ls -l | tee filelist
total 12
-rw-r----- 1 tamas users 3 2008-08-19 14:19 árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép.rtf
-rw-r----- 1 tamas users 4 2008-08-19 14:19 élet.txt
-rw-r----- 1 tamas users 0 2008-08-20 00:00 filelist
-rw-r----- 1 tamas users 5 2008-08-19 14:19 körte.rtf
$ file filelist
filelist: UTF-8 Unicode text

The first sync:
$ /sw/bin/rsync --archive --update --verbose  --delete firewall:teszt .
receiving incremental file list
teszt/
teszt/filelist
teszt/körte.rtf
teszt/árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép.rtf
teszt/élet.txt

sent 91 bytes  received 601 bytes  461.33 bytes/sec
total size is 263  speedup is 0.38
$ ls -l teszt/ | tee filelist-on-macosx
total 32
-rw-r-----  1 tamas  staff    3 Aug 19 14:19 árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép.rtf
-rw-r-----  1 tamas  staff    4 Aug 19 14:19 élet.txt
-rw-r-----  1 tamas  staff  251 Aug 20 00:00 filelist
-rw-r-----  1 tamas  staff    5 Aug 19 14:19 körte.rtf
urbanit-wlan:~/temp$ file filelist-on-macosx
filelist-on-macosx: UTF-8 Unicode text

The second sync:
$ /sw/bin/rsync --archive --update --verbose  --delete firewall:teszt .
receiving incremental file list
deleting teszt/körte.rtf
deleting teszt/élet.txt
deleting teszt/árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép.rtf
teszt/körte.rtf
teszt/árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép.rtf
teszt/élet.txt

sent 69 bytes  received 304 bytes  248.67 bytes/sec
total size is 263  speedup is 0.71

The rsync deletes my files with accents and download it again. (it
doesn't delete the 'filelist' file)
It's really annoying if you have many big files with accents.

I try the same config with Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard with UFS (Unix
Filesystem) and it works correctly.
The main problem with the UFS is the 4 GB maximum file size limit, so
I can't use UFS fs on my backup partition.
It works over SMBFS protocol (aka local file sync) but Samba destroys
my softlinks.

I tried with ZFS (as a local fs) and it shows the same problem.
I tried it over NFS and the problem remain.

Please help me to solve this problem!

Best regards,

Tamas Komaromi
from Hungary