rsync hangs after aborting a process

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Aug 19 15:19:28 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 20:54 -0700, cewing wrote:
> ${RSYNC_CMD} -aNHAXx --protect-args --fileflags --force-change
> --rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync" <username>@<my.server.com>:${CPY_SRC}
> ${CPY_DEST}

> Now, whenever I try to run the same script, rsync hangs.  No data is
> transferred.  I can stop the process with the same keyboard interrupt, and I
> get the following message:
>
> Killed by signal 2.
> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at rsync.c(597) [receiver=3.0.3]
>
> If i try running the command with a few --verbose flags, I see this:
>
> receiving file list ...
> [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 262144 bytes, did move
> [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 262144 bytes, did move
> [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 524288 bytes, did move
> [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 524288 bytes, did move
> [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 1048576 bytes, did move
> [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 1048576 bytes, did move
> [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 2097152 bytes, did move
> [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 2097152 bytes, did move
> [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 4194304 bytes, did move
> [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 4194304 bytes, did move

Is rsync hanging or just receiving an enormous non-incremental file list
from the remote machine?  Check if the remote rsync process is accessing
the disk.

With rsync 3.0.3 on both sides, I'm surprised that rsync isn't using
incremental recursion (and printing "receiving incremental file list"
instead of "receiving file list ...").  You might try removing some
options to see which one is disabling incremental recursion.

Matt