Mapped Drive

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 16:54:24 GMT 2007

On 9/30/07, Stephen Zemlicka <stevezemlicka at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is some files don't change in size.  So I was hoping that the
> checksums could be cached.  Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought the checksum
> determined what actual blocks were transferred.  I suppose it could be
> cached at either storage location.

I still do not understand what you are proposing; please be more
specific!  Which checksums are you talking about: (1) the whole-file
checksums of destination files used by the -c option to decide whether
to transfer each file, or (2) the block checksums of destination files
used by the delta-transfer algorithm to match blocks, or (3) something
else?  At what point in the process would the cache be read, and at
what point would it be updated?

Matt