Rsync and opened files

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea eaurrekoetxea at nht-norwick.net
Tue Sep 25 12:06:43 GMT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to determine if rsync is a sure method of backing up servers (Linux and Windows) whose files are constantly being accesed and are not able to be stoped they're services for backing up purposes... I would use it over ssh for making incremental backups... in my tests seem to always have worked backing up from a debian server to the copy server that runs debian too...  I'm using the next :

OPTS="--force --ignore-errors --delete --backup --backup-dir=/home/ramattack/pruebas-rsync/$BACKUPDIRMES/$dia -avz"

rsync $OPTS $BDIR /home/ramattack/pruebas-rsync/$BACKUPDIRMES/imagen-copia

BDIR is source I want to backup and /home/ramattack/pruebas-rsync....... is the destination...

could this copy correctly opened files? Normally I will use it for backing up linux machines normally... and the backup server will be of course a linux machine (debian machine). but how does it behave with linux machines?

P.D. I have googled and searched over there but all posts I've find are old... and I wanted to have a recent answer.

Thanks a lot mates!!!
__

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre
e-Mail: egoitz.aurrekoetxea at nht-norwick.net

NHT-Norwick®
Avda. Txorierri 9, 104
48160 Derio (Vizcaya)
Tel: +34 94 435 54 40
Fax: +34 94 423 38 44

Este mensaje va dirigido sólo al destinatario del mismo y puede contener información privilegiada, de propiedad intelectual o cualquier otro tipo de datos de carácter privado. Si lo ha recibido por error, notifíqueselo inmediatamente al emisario y borre el original. Está prohibido cualquier otro empleo de este e-mail por su parte.