RFE: Option to show current path once per second

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 20:00:38 GMT 2007

I use rsync to back up my computer (two filesystems totaling about
500,000 files and 15 GB).  The entire run takes anywhere from 10
minutes to an hour or two, so I would like some indication of rsync's
progress through the source filesystem.  However, each individual file
is processed very quickly, so if I use -v, rsync writes a flood of
filenames to the gnome-terminal, and the speed at which the
gnome-terminal can repaint becomes a bottleneck.

I would like a practical way for rsync to report its progress in this
situation, and I propose an option that makes it print the current
path it is working at each second.  (It doesn't have to be exactly
each second; when rsync processes a file, it could print the path if
the last time it printed a path was more than a second ago.)  Unison's
text UI does something like this during the initial scan-for-changes
phase.

Matt