period in folder name

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 03:15:00 GMT 2007

On 10/11/07, Stephen Zemlicka <stevezemlicka at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having a terrible time with one particular customer using rsync.  Every
> once in awhile, they create a folder like "Jon Const."  Rsync seems to have
> a terrible time with the period in the folder name.  After the backup runs
> and fails due to this folder, I cannot simply rename the folder.  I have to
> go into cmd and rename the folder using the short filename.  Has anybody run
> into this issue?  Is there a way to get around it?  I don't just want to
> rsync the short filenames because I want to keep everything as it is on the
> rsync client.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Which OS is running on each side of the copy?  Exactly how does the
backup "fail"?  This is likely to be a Windows or Cygwin idiosyncrasy.
 On my computer, Windows seems to remove trailing dots and spaces from
every filename passed to a system call, so I can't create a folder
whose name ends in a period.

Matt