cygwin rsync windows to windows ACL problem

Steve Radich stever at bitshop.com
Mon Oct 1 19:22:04 GMT 2007

Someone more knowledgable in rsync correct me if I'm wrong but..

Wouldn't robocopy better serve these EXACT needs? It doesn't handle
partial file transfers, but neither will rsync given that you are
running it only on one end - I.e. to calculate the crc to compare the
files contents it would have to read the whole file, then transfer back
the changes - That would be SLOWER than just transferring the whole file
(assuming symmetrical speed).

Running rsync on both sides it should be dramatically faster *IF* there
are several large files. If all small files and often changing then
robocopy may be just about the same.

Robocopy is part of the windows resource kit I believe, it's been around
a long time. There's white papers on Microsoft's site about it.

Steve Radich - http://www.aspdeveloper.net /
http://www.virtualserverfaq.com
BitShop, Inc. - Development, Training, Hosting, Troubleshooting -
http://www.bitshop.com