cygwin rsync windows to windows ACL problem

havoc havoc at havoc.org
Mon Oct 1 16:25:38 GMT 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On 10/1/07, havoc <havoc at havoc.org> wrote:
> > I am having problems using rsync on cygwin to properly copy the
> > ownership of files from windows to windows.
> > I am running: rsync -avPA //src_addr/some/path /local/dst/path/
> >
> > Based on:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg18920.html
> > and:
> > http://www.nabble.com/Re:-I-need-rsync-+-acl-support-for-windows--t246264
> >7.html
> >
> > ENV: CYGWIN=ntsec tty
> > I am running this on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (a DC), the SRC is
> > a Windows XP SP2 domain member.
> > I have tried patching the cygwin rsync source to enable ACL support,
> > and had this confirmed by rsync --version
> > This didn't work so I got rsync-acl-2.6.9.tar.bz2 from:
> > http://mattmccutchen.net/myrsync/
> > and configured with --enable-acl-support
> > This still does not work.
>
> What incorrect ownership did rsync set on the destination?  That might
> give me a clue what the problem is.
>
> Is the receiving rsync running as an administrator so that it has the
> power to set ownership arbitrarily?  (Once it is, you may have to pass
> --super to make sure it realizes that.)  Do you have entries in your
> Cygwin /etc/passwd and /etc/group (see
> http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html ) on both sides for all
> the owners involved?
>
> Matt

The SRC is via a default network share: //netbios.name/C$
The DST is a local directory.
So there is only onw instance of rsync running (no "sending" end).

The Owners/Groups on the SRC side are:
Group: COMPUTER\Administrators
User:  DOMAIN\SpecificUser
Group: SYSTEM

The Owners/Groups on the DST side end up as:
User:  DOMAIN\Administrator
Group: DOMAIN\Domain Users
Group: Everyone

Prior to using an ACL enabled rsync (and rsync without -A) they were:
User:  DOMAIN\Administrator
Group: CREATOR GROUP
Group: CREATOR OWNER
Group: DOMAIN\Domain Users
Group: Everyone

I have read http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html (many times) and
/etc/passwd and /etc/group look OK, they seem to have all the SIDs in them,
including one for SpecificUser.

I also just tried "rsync -avPA --super ..." with no luck.

Could the problem be related to rsync only running on a single machine with
no "remote" side?

--

   - havoc