cygwin rsync windows to windows ACL problem

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 16:10:06 GMT 2007

On 10/1/07, havoc <havoc at havoc.org> wrote:
> I am having problems using rsync on cygwin to properly copy the
> ownership of files from windows to windows.
> I am running: rsync -avPA //src_addr/some/path /local/dst/path/
>
> Based on:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg18920.html
> and:
> http://www.nabble.com/Re:-I-need-rsync-+-acl-support-for-windows--t2462647.html
>
> ENV: CYGWIN=ntsec tty
> I am running this on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (a DC), the SRC is
> a Windows XP SP2 domain member.
> I have tried patching the cygwin rsync source to enable ACL support,
> and had this confirmed by rsync --version
> This didn't work so I got rsync-acl-2.6.9.tar.bz2 from:
> http://mattmccutchen.net/myrsync/
> and configured with --enable-acl-support
> This still does not work.

What incorrect ownership did rsync set on the destination?  That might
give me a clue what the problem is.

Is the receiving rsync running as an administrator so that it has the
power to set ownership arbitrarily?  (Once it is, you may have to pass
--super to make sure it realizes that.)  Do you have entries in your
Cygwin /etc/passwd and /etc/group (see
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html ) on both sides for all
the owners involved?

Matt