rsync-3.0.0pre5 Problem with xattr

Suresh Kumar spedamallu at inmage.net
Fri Nov 23 06:49:06 GMT 2007

Hi,
I have recently downloaded the rsync-3.0.0pre5 and wanted to see how it
works (especially xattr feature)..
I did following steps..
./configure
make
make test

make test shows following tests skipped..
SKIP    xattrs (Unable to set an xattr)

from 3.0 i have read that xattr support is by default and there is no
specific patch is required to use this feature..
I want to know how the xattr really works..

Here are my enviornment details
#uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT
2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

#cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)

All file systems are of type ext3 and mounted with acl option.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
suresh