rsync-3.0.0pre5 Problem with xattr

Daniel Maher dma at witbe.net
Fri Nov 23 11:33:00 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 22:49 -0800, Suresh Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> I have recently downloaded the rsync-3.0.0pre5 and wanted to see how it
> works (especially xattr feature)..
> I did following steps..
> ./configure
> make
> make test
>
> make test shows following tests skipped..
> SKIP    xattrs (Unable to set an xattr)

Hello,

You need to have proper support for xattr on your system.  I would
suggest verifying the following:
1) Your kernel is compatible
2) You have the xattr libraries (runtime and devel) installed
3) The filesystem on you're building from can set xattrs

Item 3 tricked me the first time. :)

Fair warning, however: i've found xattr support in pre5 to be sketchy at
best...

--
dan.