Rsync doesn't copy unicode over samba

takuan4 at gmail.com takuan4 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 01:15:29 GMT 2007

I have two NAS servers that i want to backup one to the other with rsync.
It works great until it gets to files with Japanese encoding.
It then just tells me the files have vanished, and they do not get copied.

Note:
1. Rsync correctly copies the files with Japanese filenames fine on my
harddrive.
2. CP can copy correctly copy the files with Japanese filenames from
one NAS server to the other.

However, for some reason, rsync won't copy the files correctly between
the NAS servers.

Btw, I am using Gentoo.
net-fs/samba-3.0.24-r3  USE="acl cups fam kerberos ldap pam python
readline -async -automount -caps -doc -examples -oav -quotas
(-selinux) -swat -syslog -winbind" LINGUAS="ja -pl"

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.
Thank you very much for you time!