Diff problem

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Tue Nov 20 17:16:03 GMT 2007

On Tue 20 Nov 2007, alex loutrbringa' wrote:

> When i launch my rsync command with "-i" option, i see all my binary files
> like this :
> -----------------------------
> <f..T.... downloads/binaries/binaryv2.cpt.zip
> -----------------------------
> I understood well that "T" means mtime are different even if mtime seems to
> be exactly the same
> on both servers (assuming that mtime is the time printed by "ls -l"
> command).
> If i pass the argument --modify-window 2 to the command with a --dry-run, i
> always
> have all my files listed with "<f..T.... filename".
>
> Maybe the "f" letter? Do you know what it means ?

>From the manpage, the --itemize-changes description:

        The  file-types  that replace the X are: f for a file, a d for a
        directory, an L for a symlink, a D for a device, and a S  for  a
        special file (e.g. named sockets and fifos).
        o      A t means the modification time is different and is being
                updated  to  the  sender's  value (requires --times).  An
                alternate value of T means  that  the  modification  time
                will be set to the transfer time, which happens anytime a
                symlink is transferred, or when a regular file or  device
                is transferred without --times.

Hence I suggest that you use the --times option to also preserve the
modification time.

Paul Slootman