Bug or undesired behavior when quota exceeded

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Nov 8 21:51:34 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 18:36 +0100, Janusz Jurski wrote:
> But it seems to me that this is against the description of the "partial"
> option in rsync manual.

> In my opinion, the partially
> transferred file shall be kept for future reuse and shall not overwrite
> the destination file.

> Also, the current
> behavior is inconsistent with the "--partial-dir" option (the manual
> says for "--partial-dir" that such partially copied files are kept in
> the specified directory to speed up next transfers).

The --partial option is behaving as documented.  If you want
--partial-dir's better behavior, you have to pass --partial-dir (or the
environment variable RSYNC_PARTIAL_DIR).

> Note that the "partial" option makes no sense otherwise because it
> actually equals to the "in-place" option

Not exactly.  With --inplace, rsync writes new data into the original
destination file; the new data will be visible through other hard links
to the destination file.  Without --inplace, rsync writes data to a new
file and moves it over the original on successful completion or
(assuming --partial is given) interruption.

Matt