Bug or undesired behavior when quota exceeded

Janusz Jurski jurskij at wp.pl
Thu Nov 8 17:36:42 GMT 2007

On 2007-11-08 at 15:05, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 12:30 +0100, Janusz Jurski wrote:
> > Any idea on how to avoid such a situation?
>
> The trouble is that you are passing --partial (-P = --partial
> --progress), which makes the receiver in the first command move the
> partially received copy of the new source file over the old destination
> file.  Remove --partial (by replacing -P with --progress) and you should
> be fine: the receiver will discard the partially received file, leaving
> the old destination file as is,

Thank you for the explanation.

But it seems to me that this is against the description of the "partial"
option in rsync manual. According to the manual: "By  default, rsync
will delete any partially transferred file if the transfer is
interrupted. In some circumstances  it  is  more desirable  to keep
partially transferred files. Using the --partial option tells rsync to
keep the partial  file  which  should make  a subsequent transfer of the
rest of the file much faster." This specifically describes the situation
when the transfer is interrupted. In my opinion, the partially
transferred file shall be kept for future reuse and shall not overwrite
the destination file.

Note that the "partial" option makes no sense otherwise because it
actually equals to the "in-place" option - "partial" becomes "in-place"
when the transfer is interrupted and any assumption that the transfer is
not interrupted is not reasonable in my opinion. Also, the current
behavior is inconsistent with the "--partial-dir" option (the manual
says for "--partial-dir" that such partially copied files are kept in
the specified directory to speed up next transfers).

These are just my thoughts. What is your opinion?
Regards,
JJ

PS: I use "--partial" because the files I transfer are very large and
the connection speed is not high... I will try using --partial-dir now.