rsync hangs when accessing through SSH (Leopard OS X)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Dec 8 20:31:35 GMT 2007

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 08:36:40AM -0800, Greg Loesch wrote:
> 1. I'm not sure if it's installed on the machine I'm transferring to or not.
> It's a webhost, so is there a way to know? Is it that simple? Am I just...
> an idiot and didn't realize it needs to be installed on both ends?

Try some basic things:

ssh user at ssh.netfirms.com true

The above command should not output anything at all (excepting an ssh
password prompt, if applicable).  If there is any output on stdout, you
need to disable whatever is generating that output so that rsync doesn't
get garbage trying to talk to the remote rsync.

ssh user at ssh.netfirms.com rsync --version

The above command should show you rsync's version.  If it does not,
figure out where rsync is installed and try it with a full path.  If a
full path works, use the --rsync-path=/path/rsync option when invoking
your client-side rsync.  If there is no rsync on the remote system,
install it yourself.