Frequent errors copying to an SMB share

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:36:21 GMT 2007

On 8/10/07, Greger Cronquist <greger.cronquist at niradynamics.se> wrote:
> I have a setup that rsyncs (using the rsync protocol without rsh/ssh logins)
> from one windows server (A) to a NAS (B) via a second windows server (C) (A
> is on a separate location from B & C, and the NAS doesn't support rsync
> directly), where C stores data on an SMB share on B. My problem is that I
> often get "No such host or network path (136)" from rsync (robocopy or
> similar works without a glitch) when storing on the SMB share. Is this a
> common problem, and if so can anyone help me solve it? I'm using
> rsync/cygwin compiled from cvs (sometime in July).

I Googled for `rsync "No such host or network path"' and found a
report of a similar problem:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-October/013866.html

It's not clear to me exactly what is going on, but it appears that the
two initial slashes on the destination (or possibly the removal of one
of them by rsync) may be causing the problem.  If you are using a
destination path of the form //server/share/foo/bar , it might help to
map a Windows drive letter to the NAS or set up a Cygwin mount point
(see http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames )
so you can give a destination path that doesn't begin with the two
slashes.

Matt