Software caused connection abort

Franco Marra marra at irc.cnr.it
Tue Oct 25 14:32:24 GMT 2005

Dears All,

I have used rsync on Cygwin for a long time to backup data on my WinXP
laptop to a NAS server. Several days ago I had a problem with my user
account on the Laptop and I needed to create a new account and delete
the old one.
Fortunately my data were on a separate partition (fat32) so I did not
lose anything.

Now when I try to use rsync again on the same data I always get the
following error. I have the NAS mounted as a network resource, I am able
to browse all files on the NAS both with Explorer and inside the Cygwin
shell and I use the following command in the Cygwin shell:

$ rsync --delete -avz pubpapers //nas/Winmarra/pcbackup/.

The process starts correctly then after a while it hangs with the
following output:

building file list ... done
deleting pubpapers/incoming/paper1.pdf
deleting pubpapers/incoming/paper2.pdf
... (a long list)
pubpapers/
pubpapers/flame.bak
pubpapers/flame.bib
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 10609 bytes: phase "unknown"
[sender]:
  Software caused connection abort (113)
rsync: write failed on "/nas/Winmarra/pcbackup/./pubpapers/flame.bak":
No such host or network path (136)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at
/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/receiver.c(291)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (158102 bytes received so far)
[generator]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/io.c(434)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (58 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/io.c(434)

After the error I am still connected to the NAS and I am still able to
list all the files there, so the connection is not broken. I only notice
that in the error message the path is written with a single slash
("/nas/Winmarra/etc...") instead that "//nas/Winmarra/etc..." but maybe
this is only a rsync internal message.

Can you help me please ?

Regards,

Franco