skipping growing files?

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Thu Oct 26 01:44:11 GMT 2006

Le Friday 20 October 2006 16:26, John P. Speno a écrit :
> Is there a way to instruct rsync to ignore a file that is currently
> growing in size? For example, a file is currently being uploaded to
> the source machine while another client is using rsync to pull down
> files. Can rsync detect and skip said file instead of copying
> whatever is there already?
>
> I suppose a -mtime like feature would also solve this problem for me
> in that the client could specify a mtime option to force rsync to
> ignore files that were changed within the last minute or so. And I
> suppose one could also solve this using  the find command on the
> soruce machine and --files-from in the client rsync.
>
> (And yes, there's probably a non rsync, even non technical solution
> to my real problem, but I'm still thinking on it.)

Except performing a second stat() after waiting (how much time rsync should
wait depend on the growing speed...), or looking opened files on the system
(will rsync process have enough perms for that ?), no way. Only Windows
support such stupidity like low level lock on file denying to everybody
(administrator included) to access to it.

However I can understand mirroring opened files is an issue, but I failed to
see this happening with another rsync process except using --inplace option.
Rsync always use a temporary file to add new data.

Have a look to --temp-dir which allow to put temp file outside the mirrored
tree.