Compressed destination files

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 03:55:02 GMT 2006

On 11/29/06, Joshua Grauman <jnfo-c at grauman.com> wrote:
> I would like to do an incremental backup using rsync where all the files
> at the destination end are compressed (bz2).

Currently, the only way to make rsync do this is with the experimental
patch "source-filter_dest-filter.diff", which is distributed in
"patches/" in the rsync source package.  If you compile a custom
version of rsync containing this patch, you can specify bzip2 as the
source or destination filter.  Read the top of the patch for more
information.  The patch is only a first attempt, so you might not want
to trust it with your backups yet.

Matt