lgging problem

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Fri Mar 31 16:28:33 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 18:11 +0200, Julian Pace Ross wrote:
> every user has an authorised ssh key and a *custom* rsyncd.conf (with
> only his or her modules) in each home directory.
>
> I have tried several options, but rsync over ssh just wants to log
> into syslog.
> Is it possible to have a custom log file as with the daemon running?

Note the following from rsyncd.conf(5):

log file
The "log file" option tells the rsync daemon to log messages to that
file rather than using syslog. This is particularly useful on systems
(such as AIX) where syslog() doesn’t work for chrooted programs.  If the
daemon fails to open to specified file, it will fall back to using
syslog and output an error about the failure.  (Note that a failure to
open the specified log file used to be a fatal error.)

I bet your per-user rsyncd.conf files specify /var/log/rsyncd.conf but
the individual users don't have permission to write to this log file.
Thus the individual rsyncs get EACCES and fall back to syslog.  To fix
this, you can either grant everyone permission to write
to /var/log/rsyncd.log (might not be a good idea because one user could
maliciously alter the other user's log messages) or create per-user log
files and specify their locations in the per-user rsyncd.confs.

--
Matt McCutchen
hashproduct at verizon.net
http://hashproduct.metaesthetics.net/